If you sell your own house, you will save a substantial sum (the typical estate agent’s fee is between 1.5 and 2 per cent, which pays 2,250-3000 pounds on a 150,000 pounds property). The drawback is the time and work that you will have to put in yourself. If you try but fail to sell your house, you won’t save anything, but you still lose the time and the opportunity to move.
What does an estate agent do ?
A good estate agent will visit your property and suggest three possible prices (which includes other advice on what to ask them at this stage.) Once you have chosen an agent and the price you want to put it on the market for, agent should:
- Send you a contract setting out their terms and conditions. Read this before you sign.
- Measure and photograph the property to produce the sales particulars, checking them through with you.
- Help you to secure and Energy Performance Certificate. You don’t have to use the agent to provide this service and they should charge around 50 pounds for the certificate.
- Put a ‘For sale’ board outside your property (assuming you want one; your estate agent should give you the option).
- Advertise your property locally, on the internet and via newspapers. It’s important to negotiate this as it doesn’t always happen automatically.
- Advertise it at their premises and via their website as well as directly to a list of potential buyers.
- Arrange viewings for legitimate buyers (show people around your house if you aren’t there).
- Receive offers, communicating them to you in writing and negotiating on your behalf. estate agents in woodbridge
- Liaise between your buyer, you and your solicitor.
- Arrange the handover of key on completion day.
You could do most of this yourself. However, there are various benefits a good agent brings.
In any field, experience is valued. Someone who has spent years helping people buy and sell property should be able to forestall problems, keep the process moving efficiently and effectively, and offer informed advice when decisions are required.
Sales and marketing
Selling is a skill. No one is going to persuade an unwilling buyer to purchase your property, but a professional sales person will be able to communicate effectively, pointing out advantages and answering queries that might otherwise have put someone off. In addition, a good agent will have the resources to market your property nationally via their website.